Re: (ASCEND) Clock source

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Dale Botkin wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> We were just told by tech support that there can be only one global clock
> source for a Max 4004.  Thus, if we have (for example) two CT1, a U S
> Worst frame relay line, and MCI frame relay, all from different sources,
> we can't plug them all into a 4004.  Since this is exactly what we have,
> we were extremely displeased to hear this.  If this is indeed true, it
> means that:

Hi Dale,

We have one Max4004 with 3 CT1s from different carriers. All of our
other Maxes are 4000s with T1s from the same carriers. We see the
same low rate connection rate averages throughout all of them, so
it isn't an obvious problem with clock slip for us. However, it might
be worth disabling all but one dialup T1 on the Max to see if the
rates improve. I'll try this tommorow. I've certainly tried just
about everything else so far.

I'm also quite suprised that your considering replacing a Cisco
with a Wan port on a Max if it's used for dialup connections. The
throughput on a loaded 4004 is just barely enough for dialup. I
think you just store spare RJ45 connecter ends in those ports.

Matthew Dwyer
Dreamscape Online