Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4048

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Craig Salmond wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Paul Watkins wrote:
>
> > Hello there... I'm trying to decide between the Livingston PM3 and Ascend's
> > MAX4048.  Has anyone here used the 4048 and have some opinions?
> 	We are using a Max 4048 and all is well.  User connections are
> rock solid, 56K customers are getting 38K (Low end) to 48K (high end). One
> of our competitors is using a PM3, and we've gotten 10-15 of their
> customers due to them not being able to connect. The PM3 uses a different
> technology for modems than the Max's do.  I wouldn't hesitat to buy
> another max. If you plan on doing Mostly analog calls go with the 4048, if
> you are gonna do a mix of analog and digital, go with the 4004, it handles
> a moderate amount of analog calls and a like number of ISDN calls..

Why would you suggest a 4004 over a 4048 to do a mix of analog and ISDN?
I currently have 6 PM3's and have yet to find a modem that doesn't connect
with the correct init string on the client side.  I also do a good mix
of ISDN/DOV on CT1's with the PM3's.  I own a naked 4004 for strictly
ISDN dedicated customers and have noticed it takes a huge performance hit
with 3 PRI's installed in the box, so much so I will not put a 4th into
the unit. I'll buy naked PM3's before I buy another Ascend MAX for ISDN
only.  Too many small problems with the MAX, they always seem to be
resolved, but it's the code of the month I don't like with Ascend.