Re: (ASCEND) 56k Low Port solution?

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:38:05 -0700 Kevin Smith said:
>At 02:50 PM 6/25/97 -0400, Tim Alibozek wrote:
>>    I was wondering if there are any plans to include the Max200
>>with 56k support as a low port solution for 56k? Much like the courier
>>I-modem and MPxI solutions over ISDN BRI.
>
>The lowest port density solution currently is the MAX1800 which has
>8 BRI ports to support 16 K56flex modems. No current plans to put
>K56Flex server modems in the MAX200 - not sure it's even technically
>feasible....

It's too bad that _no_one_ other than USR is willing to address this
market.  I have clients & users who are asking about 56k service &
I _want_ to push the more open k56flex technology but both the market &
the pricing of the "toys" are pushing me toward x2. :^<

For smaller shops, such as mine, and my clients the Ascend k56
solution is twice the cost of the USR's. ( USR Netserver-16/I is ~$7k,
the MP/16-I modem box ready for one of my existing (and paid for)
terminal servers is $5.5k.  The cheapest Ascend box is the Max1800 with
2 of the 8-MOD56 cards at $5k+2*$3.1k= $11.2k.)

So, I answer my clients & users with the "k56flex is technically better
& we will install it as soon as we can afford too." line or I acknowledge
the marketing skill of USR & give my clients/users what they're asking
for and replace my older analog modems and get x2 support, as well as
dial-in ISDN and better 33.6 support. (At a lower cost to me...) (Sounds
like the VHS vs. Betamax wars...)

Anybody want to guess which way I'm going to go?

Ascend has some wonderful boxes if you want/need a PRI or greater solution.
Some of us aren't in that ballpark (neither are my clients...)

John	(who is not happy about his availables choices at the moment...)