RE: (ASCEND) T1 provisoning hints

Hi Greg, thanks for the nice words.

Let me try to illustrate line-side versus trunk-side in the context of
what we're talking about here.

As you know most switches, and certainly your DMS-10, can have (at
least) 2 different ways to connect to subscriber equipment.  When
someone says that you are connected to the line-side of the switch, they
mean that you are connecting to individual, separate, analog ports that
have exactly one CO line.  For all intents and purposes, the line-side
delivers classic electrical Tip and Ring, and you hook that up right to
copper paths.

RBOC's, when they buy switches have to satisfy the bazillion pairs of
copper that ingress to the CO, and they do that by buying line-side
packs for the switch.

Trunk-side is classically the digital side, and I believe got it's name
from that fact that "trunks of lines" were delivered in a digital format
from those packs.  So the trunk-side of the switch would normally
aggregate 24 individual phone lines onto a T1 for delivery to customer
PBX's and such that know how to decode that format properly.  This side
of the switch is truly digital, and has no analog component associated
with it.  This is the "side" of the switch that you *want* your T1's
delivered from, and it is the "side" of the switch that all PRI are
delivered from.

Here's the rub:  Joe's ISP Inc. calls the RBOC, Bell Atlantic for
instance, and orders up a "channelized T1" from the Telco.  They tell
Joe that this will be delivered on a T1 digitally to Joe's location.  It
will have 24 voice channels, and they will all hunt to each other.  It
will have a format and framing of B8ZS, ESF.  Joe checks the Ascend Web
page, and all looks good so far.

Then, and very often, and without your knowledge the RBOC will take 24
line-side CO lines (remember, they're analog at this point!) and run
them into a D4 (or some other) channel bank that takes the 24 analog
lines, and multiplexes them onto a digital T1 to send to you.  The
problem is that they added an A/D conversion in the path that you are
unaware of.  This kills the whole party.  You *must* be very specific
and ask for engineering verification from the RBOC, that there is
absolutely no A/D in the T1 path at all. (BTW, this is a classic reason
for never seeing 28.8K connections, but seeing loads of 26.4's)

I used Bell Atlantic as an example because of my experience with them.
FYI, Bell Atlantic *always* provisions line-side T1's. They do not have
a tariff for trunk side.  If you want trunk-side from BA, you first must
be enlightened enough to ask, then they must issue for internal approval
what is known as an HSA, or House Special Assembly.  BA's charges for
trunk-side HSA T1's is close to $80 buck a line, with a $2000 install.
All RBOC's have the equivalent of an HSA - it's their way of getting
around tariff's for special circumstances.

Nynex, on the other hand has a product they call FlexPath, which IS
provisioned trunk-side.

Clear as mud? :-)

Best regards,

David Van Allen - You Tools Corporation / FASTNET(tm)
dave@fast.net (610) 289-1100  http://www.fast.net
FASTNET - PA/NJ/DE Internet Solutions