(ASCEND) PAP/CHAP sequence of events

I believe I already know the answer to this, but thought I'd say it out
loud just to make sure I'm not missing something...

I would like to be able to do CHAP authentication for callers with specific
profiles either local or in Radius and still be able to do PAP for everyone
else (so I can use password="UNIX" in my Radius DEFAULT). I believe I can't
do this because the type of authentication is negotiated before the NAS
knows the caller's name and therefore before it can know whether there is a
profile or not.

If I could convince all unprofiled callers to reject CHAP, it would work.
Since that's not likely my only option is to to have the Max ask only for PAP.

Anyone disagree?