Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

(ASCEND) 56K - How to promote/support?

        Robert A. Pickering Jr. said:

>My user got an Answer from Supra/Diamond.
>
>The answer is:  "Rockwell released beta firmware for their 56K modems in
>a "beta" chipset.  Lot's of modem manufacturer's used this beta firmware
>to get modems to market.  Rockwell is now telling us that we have to recall
>all of these modems and switch to "RAM Based" modems instead of "ROM Based"
>modems.  The "RAM Based" modem is out for Windows, but is not out yet for
>the Macintosh [this user is a Macintosh user]."
>
>My user's response is that he's returning the modem where he got it and is
>suggesting that people NOT buy the Diamond modems since the majority of the
>modems on the shelves will be this "Beta firmware" modem.

        This sounds like great fun and games.  Open the weapons locker
        and break out the riot gear boys, it is time for another seige!

        Let's try to track the sequence of events:

                a)  An end-user hears about "56K" from any one of
                    a number of possible sources, and decides to
                    spend his money to "upgrade" to 56K.

                        a1)  If he buys an X2 modem from USR, he
                             is limited to 33.6Kbps simply because
                             USR took so long to buy a vowel on the
                             subject of standards.  (Unless, of course
                             we go out and get some USR racks as an
                             "interim solution" for a subset of
                             of out customers, which would be rewarding
                             USR for their high-handed tactics.)

                        a2)  If he buys a K56Flex modem, he must try
                             to find out what the REV of the modem is
                             to insure that it is not "Rockwell beta
                             code/hardware".  Since the sales
                             channels can be assume to be loaded with
                             "beta modems", he may have a hard time
                             finding anything that is known to be
                             "production firmware/hardware".

                                a2a)  There is no easy way to do this,
                                      since it appears that different
                                      modem makers are using their own
                                      hardware/firmware rev numbers.

                                a2b)  Given Mr. Pickering's findings
                                      ["Rockwell is now telling us
                                      that we have to recall all of
                                      these modems and switch to 'RAM
                                      Based' modems instead of 'ROM
                                      Based' modems."], it seems that
                                      the customer must go through
                                      an RMA with the modem vendor.
                                      The historical track-record of
                                      modem makers in this area is not
                                      good, and there are known cases
                                      where the modem maker has blamed
                                      the ISP, thus trashing the
                                      credibility of the ISP, who is
                                      working hard, spending money, and
                                      honestly trying to HELP the customer
                                      use the vendor's modem.

                                a2c)  If he is lucky, the modem maker
                                      does not require swapping the
                                      modem, has a flash-rom upgrade,
                                      and he can upgrade himself (or
                                      burn up our 800-number while our
                                      tech support staff talks him
                                      though the process).

                                a2d)  There will be some recalcitrant
                                      modem makers, and ISPs will be
                                      forced to "suggest" or "not
                                      suggest" certain brands, thus
                                      putting ISPs in an adversarial
                                      position with modem makers.

                b)  Once he gets the proper modem with the proper firmware,
                    he can then get some results.  If he connects at less
                    than 56000 (a certainty), he will call my 800-number
                    tech support line, and start burning up our money on
                    the issue.

                c)  If I give the COMPLETE information to my tech support
                    people, and instruct them to explain the complete facts
                    about "56K modems" to my customers, they will think that
                    we are liars.  (The essential facts here are that "your
                    mileage may vary", and the term "56K modem" is a misnomer
                    that borders on fraud.)  Given the fact that most of our
                    customers do not have engineering degrees, the mere
                    attempt to tell the truth to our customers opens up a
                    can of worms not seen since Frank Herbert's book "Dune".
                    Some number of users will get disgusted (with us) about
                    this, and we will lose their business to someone else
                    who tells the customer less than the unvarnished truth.

                d)  Once the user is made to understand that his telco line
                    quality can impact his performance, he might call his
                    telco, who will deny any responsibility to provide any
                    line quality above that required to recreate the immortal
                    words of Alexander G. Bell.  This is in spite of the
fact                       that many dial-up users have extra lines that were
                    ordered to specifically support a modem.

                e)  Once a motivated, well-financed, and hardworking user
                    wades through all the issues, the best he can expect
                    is a LESS than 56000 connect.  Once again, he will
                    likely blame us for this "problem".  The facts of the
                    matter indicate that if we are not VERY careful about
                    how we talk about this new facility, we could be
                    indicted by the Federal Trade Commission for fraud and
                    misrepresentation.  (Hard to imagine?  Look no further
                    than poor old AOL, who had many Attorneys General
                    calling them criminals for daring to have customer
                    demand in excess of their capacity.)  I expect that
                    pointing to the FCC regs in regard to 53K vs 56K will
                    not be an adequate defense.

                        e1)  We can't say "56K", because there is a zero
                             percent chance of a 56000 rate.  Perhaps
                             "53K" might be a more appropriate name.

                        e2)  We can't say "higher performance", since the
                             only users to whom we can ASSURE higher
                             performance are the users who stick with
                             28.8kbps or 33.6kbps modems, and take advantage
                             of the higher net throughput at the lower
                             speeds.

                        e3)  We can't claim any specific performance
                             improvement AT ALL, since we have no way
                             of assuring any specific customer that he
                             will gain any specific performance improvement.

                        e4)  Our customers will be confused by conflicting
                             claims and poorly researched press articles
                             into thinking all sorts of things, and expect
                             us to deliver whatever others promise.

                        e5)  We certainly can't charge extra for "56K"
                             service, even though the cost to support
                             such service (both in terms of infrastructure
                             and raw tech-support time and effort) is
                             much higher for any ISP who attempts to
                             offer 56K service.  (Those ISPs who were
                             foolish enough to not invest in PRIs,
                             excess bandwidth capacity and so on
                             long ago now have to "upgrade" simply
                             to attempt to offer 56K service.)

                f)  If the user is very sophisticated, he might notice
                    the "throughput degradation" discussed in a prior
                    thread on this e-mail list.  He will blame... guess
                    who?  Correct!  Us!

        Gosh Ascend, it looks like the K56Flex group has some PR work
        to do, now that USR is at last making nice noises, and we can
        expect everything to interoperate "real soon now".  My fellow ISPs
        and I can make web pages until we are blue in the face to explain
        all this, but it looks like we need to ask that each and every
        modem maker create web and ftp-based resources to allow flash
        rom upgrades, and track their firmware revisions against the
        Rockwell/Lucent revisions.

        Ascend and the other RAS vendors who support K56Flex need to
        track/document THEIR revisions too, as well as insure that
        they keep track of reported problems with specific brands
        of modems that should otherwise "work".

        A centralized "K56Flex" resource WebPage sounds like a real good
        idea, but this set of resources must be oriented towards the
        end user/customer rather than the engineer/ISP, and must be
        kept up-to-date by a staff that is willing to try to keep up
        with nearly every action of all the players.  The ISPs cannot
        be expected to keep up themselves.

        This is NOT "28.8kbps all over again".  There is no sense of
        DejaVu here.  Any sense of DejaVu felt by the reader should
        be replaced by a sense of impending DOOM.  This is worse,
        much worse.

        God, how I love this business!  Where else can I find an
        "improvement" that is a lose-lose-lose proposition?  I expect
        that the "K56Flex" industry standard spec should be modified to
        include something like the following:

                10.1.7.16  A group of peasants, marching upon the
                           offices of the ISP, armed with pitchforks,
                           torches, and blunt instruments, is known
                           to be a feature of early revisions of all
                           "56K" modems.  Efforts will be made to
                           provide all ISPs with hunchbacked assistants,
                           who will entertain the crowds of angry users
                           by juggling dozens of phones in midair, being
                           polite to each and every caller, but making
                           obscene gestures as he hangs up each telephone.

  It is a shock to realize that even Kurt Loder of MTV News has somehow
  become a respectable journalist, while I am as lunatic fringe as ever.

james fischer                                jfischer@supercollider.com