(ASCEND) Re: MAX Java Configurator confounder

        Ben Duncan said:

>For once I will agree with "That Guy from Livingston" ;)
>
>A cross-platform Java program CAN be written.

        Ummm, excuse me for butting in, but is not "cross platform"
        the whole idea behind, and only advantage to, the entire
        concept of Java?

        Have I missed something somewhere?

>We run a Solaris x86 Based ISP. We have the new SunWeb Server JAVA based
>software. The configurator is written entirely in JAVA and can be run from
>-ANY- browser capable system (Winslut 95, Window N(ice)T(ry), and even, yes,
>Mahackintoshies ;).

        I can't imagine why Ascend thinks that any tool for any
        serious shop would be anything BUT Unix-based.  While I
        can see the obvious advantages of supporting Windoze
        and other desktop OSes for a tool that deals with a
        Pipeline 130 or lower, I cannot imagine that any
        significant percentage of Max owners are using other
        than Unix-based servers.

Society is no longer defined by meeting needs, but instead by creating "wants".

james fischer                                jfischer@supercollider.com