Re: (ASCEND) Experience with NetWarp128 and NetWarpPro?

> From: Kevin Smith Thursday, June 19, 1997 6:31 PM
>
> At 09:07 PM 6/18/97 -0700, David Youatt wrote:

> >Apparently so.  We have a few of the NW cards and have "invested" way
> >too much time trying to make them work.  Here are the known problems
> >(i.e. - problems known to Ascend) that we have encountered:

> > - card/driver conflicts with SoundBlaster cards or SoundBlaster
> >chips on motherboards, there is apparently a fixed W95 and NT driver
> >on Ascend's web site, but you have to wonder about someone who
> >knowingly (I assume) releases an ISA card with known (presumably?)
> >conflicts with what might be the most common "option" in a PC.

> That just does not make any sense. It would _not_ have been
> released if this was a known problem - if by some stretch it was
> released, then we would have included a "known problems" sheet
> with the product.

> Drivers to fix this problem were posted on the FTP site on May 8.

Kevin, help me out here.  In the sentence above, you acknowledge
the problem by saying that drivers to fix this problem were posted
to your ftp site (which is true because we found them there), but
in the previous paragraph, you say the product would not have released
with this known problem.  None of the cards we bought had "known
problems" sheet.  If you want them, we have the diskettes that came
in the shrink-wrapped packages that contain the drivers with the bug.

> >Our experience is the same as Dick Bailey's.  Ascend have offered
> >to buy back the cards which is commendable.  Had we know ahead of time,
> >we probably would have bought Pipelines (and enet cards for systems
> >w/o them), but I may have a harder time pushing through a PO for more
> >Ascend equipment.

> PLEASE note that despite these issues, which may be very significant,
> there *are* customers using the NW/NWPro without any of them. Tech
support
> are working on identifying why there is a difference, and will have
systems
> being setup to replicate as many PC configurations as possible.

Ok.  You get the benefit of the doubt.  The reason I posted was to
find someone who had the card/driver working reliably.  Please have
someone who has them working contact me.  I'd like to know their
system configs and what they did to get them working.