Re: (ASCEND) 56kflex

At 01:44 PM 6/22/97 +0200, Mickey Coggins wrote:
>What are the chances of one of the two happening:
>
>1) another hardware upgrade is required to support the final 56k standard;

The K56Flex program notes includes the following:

Software Upgradable Architecture
The Rockwell K56flex technology in the Series56 Digital Modems is software
upgradable assuring compliance with evolving 56 Kbps standards.

..which I interpret as "very unlikely that it will require hardware upgrade",
and similar verbiage is found on the Rockwell/Lucent and USR sites referring
to the final 56K standard. All are expecting it to be a software upgrade to
the "final" standard.

>2) Ascend continues or extends their upgrade offer.
>
>The reason I am asking is that the deadline for the upgrade is coming, and
>since we have almost no 56k modems homologated in our country, I hate to
>do an expensive upgrade that no one will use and then get to do it again
>when the "final" standard comes out.  Thanks for any insight.

Well as certain as it can be, I would say the upgrade now should be a safe
proposal. There are other documented benefits besides the 56K modem support,
too.

Kevin