Re: (ASCEND) more p130 tftp bugs

        Todd Romero said:

>1) when upgrading from 4.6C to the 5.0a release of the P130 software via
>TFTP, I encountered a very problematic symptom.... the DSO channels reset
>themselves to the default of 6... This is not that bad if you are doing and
>upgrade thru the ethernet, but what if you are doing a remote site via the
>wan link!?!?!?!?!?!?
>
>2) I had another P130 with 5.0ai10 in it, but I went back to 5.0ap5. Well,
>when I did the TFTP load, and reset the unit, it never came back! So after
>my 2am trip out to a pop, I noticed the config was GONE! Yes, I definately
>did an 'fsave' before.

        If (and only if) the above is true
        as stated, and a general problem
        with current-manufacture products:

        I have 10 P130s stacked up in boxes, ready to deploy
        in the next 2 weeks.  If these beasties cannot be
        100% remotely controlled, remotely upgraded, and
        be a stable hunk of customer premise hardware, then
        I might as well return them before I even take them
        out of the boxes.  The application for all of them
        is frame relay, at port speeds that will vary from
        128kbps to 1.54Mbps.

        So, can someone that works for Ascend tell us what
        software releases can we trust for the P130?  If
        the above is not true, can some refute the claims
        made?

>3)  yet another P130 has a strange problem. There was a
>problem with a T1 circuit, where the circuit would go down for a bit and
>then back up. Well, when it came back up, the P130 didn't sync back upm with
>the remote. (Adtran csu, and cisco 2514) It had to be reset, and then it
>would sync up. The process was duplicated many times. The P130 was also
>replaced and the differnt software versions were tested.

        This is also interesting, for the same reasons I
        gave above, but I have heard horror stories that
        turned out to be telco line-provisioning problems,
        so I assume that we have another telco-victim here
        on this one.  Until I test and find otherwise, that is.

>4) lastly, even another P130 has a weird reboot problem. I have seen this
>happen on other too. It seems that when you plug in the WAN connection on
>P130 to the telco smartjacks for a T1 connection, when there is nothing on
>the remote end of the T1 yet, the P130 reboots every 20 secs or so. The
>alarms go from red, blue, then carrier. Then it reboots. I think I fixed
>this by turning the clock source off. But that shouldnt matter. When the
>remote router/csu is hooked up, the P130 stablizes.

        These symptoms make perfect sense (to me, at least) when
        one has ANY customer premise device set up to obey a remote
        clock source.  If the box can't see a clock, it can either
        sit there and do nothing (a bad very idea, since you now
        have a dead box), or it can reboot, and look for a valid
        clock over and over again until it sees one.  If this view
        is wrong, please correct me.

			Arm the homeless!

james fischer                                jfischer@supercollider.com