Re: (ASCEND) RADIUS Accounting

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Kevin Smith wrote:

> At 08:02 PM 02/04/97 +0200, Zivojnovic Ranko wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I have heavily modified version of Livingston 1.16 RADIUS in order
> >to have it serve our needs. Anyway, as much as I have noticed
> >difference between Livingston PM's accounting and Ascend accounting
> >is that PM will send an "Acct" packet only if the session (PPP for example)
> >has been successfully established. In difference to that the Ascend will send
> >it immediately after it authenticates. For that reason in the "Acct"
> packets of the
> >Ascends there is no information about the IP address used for the
> connectivity.
> >
> >I need that info (IP number) on my RADIUS server and my question is:
> >Is there a way of retrieving such information from Ascend client through
> RADIUS or
> >setting up Ascend to send "Acct" packets only after successful establishment
> >of whatever "User-Service-Type" attribute specifies?
>
> You could set the:
>                 Auth Pool: to "YES"
>
>                 This option is used to pre-assign an IP address before
> ppp/ipcp
>                 negotiates an IP address.  This allows radius to write the
> IP address
>                 into the accounting "start" record.
>
>                 Ethernet ->
>                     Ethernet Mod Config ->
>                         Auth ->
>                             Auth Pool = YES

Finally got around to testing this. It does not work. I set the Auth Pool
item to "yes" and rebooted each of my maxen (ouch).

My maxen are running 5.0Ap3

Here is a typical entry from a text based terminal authentication:

Thu Jun 26 08:34:42 1997
        User-Name = "Pugor"
        NAS-IP-Address = "204.157.220.24"
        NAS-Port = 20211
        Acct-Status-Type = Start
        Acct-Delay-Time = 0
        Acct-Session-Id = "266782199"
        Acct-Authentic = RADIUS
        User-Id = "Pugor"
        NAS-Identifier = "max2.aa.net"

Note the lack of Framed-Protocol and Framed-IP-Address entries, but the
server did indeed start PPP session.

Here is a user that authenticated using PAP:

Thu Jun 26 08:34:53 1997
        User-Name = "lberg"
        NAS-IP-Address = "204.157.220.24"
        NAS-Port = 20208
        Acct-Status-Type = Start
        Acct-Delay-Time = 0
        Acct-Session-Id = "266782201"
        Acct-Authentic = RADIUS
        Framed-Protocol = PPP
        Framed-IP-Address = "205.199.142.33"
        User-Id = "lberg"
        NAS-Identifier = "max2.aa.net"

I would really, really like to have the IP address assigned in the
accounting start packet.

What can be done?