RE: (ASCEND) SNMP on Channelized E1

Currently, dial and nailed connections move around on different wanxx ports which all have different ifIndex values. This is troubling to a management application that depends on relatively static ifIndex values to trend data. The only permanent index is the connection profile itself.

One proposed solution, is to have the nailed channel group appear as a permanent interface. If you look at RFC1406 the 'DS1 Fractional Group' describes this. A complication is when a DS3 is divided up into nailed groups. You could end up with hundreds of interfaces. So the Stack table in RFC1573 is required as well. This relates the child interfaces, the nailed groups, back to the parent, the DS3.

Bear with us as we solve this problem.

Incidentally, the latest versions of the MAX code (5.0ai13+) computes the ifSpeed correctly for a nailed group.

Ken Packert
Network Management Division
Ascend Communications
516 468 4810