(ASCEND) K56Flex disconnects and non-connects

We have been using Ascend Max 400's for a few months with no "major"
problems. We got two 4048's in and placed them online (with 56k modems).
Now, most of our 14.4 users cannot get online at all and many of our
28.8/33.6 and even 56k customers are having problems staying connected for
any length of time. I have a Motorola 56k at my home and connect at 38k
sometimes 40, but about 50% of the time it drops after about 5 minutes, and
when it does stay connected it is very unstable (recieves for a few seconds
then stops a few seconds). I have all the idle timeouts and max time online
correct (I've checked them many many times). Using the same modem our users
can call our remaining 4000's (without 56k installed) and everything works
fine. I can also call the old units with my 56k Motorola and have no
problems.

Anyone else having these problems? Any ideas what we can do to fix the
situation and keep our customers happy?

Thanks,
Norm