Re: (ASCEND) PRI<->T1 conversion and Drop and Insert on Max

At 10:05 AM 5/9/97 -0500, Tom Easterday wrote:
>I have some questions for you on the D&I and PRI<->T1 conversion
>capabilities on the Max.
>
>I want to peal off some channels from an incoming PRI to go to a
>PBX or a channel bank. Our Max has the PRI<->T1 software
>but the manual says you need to have a Net/T1 expansion
>module installed.  Is that true and does that mean we can't use
>the PRI<->T1 conversion with the built-in T1 ports?

Do you have the MAX 1600 or the MAX 400X ? In the latter case, the
T1 you will use is the 4th one on the chassis. In the 1600 you do
need the T1 slot card...

>Second, if we got a PBX that supported a PRI interface, can we then
>use the Drop-and-Insert capability and not use the PRI<->T1 conversion
>at all?

No. D&I is strictly T1/T1, no PRI.

>Assuming we get a PBX that can support a DS1 interface only (not PRI), and
>we could use the PRI<->T1 conversion, how does the second T1 behave...
>That is, it comes out of the Max on the 2nd line through the CSU, so do
>we need a CSU on the PBX end?

Typically no, you connect to a DSX card on the PBX - assuming we are not
trying to drive the T1 signal more than about 650 feet cable length ?

>If we can use the PRI<->T1 conversion, does it pass Caller-ID information
>onto the PBX via the T1 voice channels?  The manual vaguely says that
>Caller-ID information is not passed on but is not totally clear on it, it
>does say that DNIS is passed on is that true?

No caller-ID. Yes it passes on DNIS/DID information...

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service