(ASCEND) Radius vs. local profile on P400 dialout

[ I sent this a couple days ago and never saw it on the list. If you are
all just ignoring me, please pardon the duplication. :-) ]

I'm working on this with Support, but thought maybe someone here has ideas
or experience.

Config:  P400/T1/PRI/4.6Cp15  and  P50/UBRI/5.0Ap5
Ascend free Radius 961029 on Solaris 2.4 in dbm mode.
Dial up both ways on demand.

If the P50 initiates the call, all is fine and the second channel is added
and removed correctly. If the P400 initiates the call and the P50 profile
is local to the P400 all is fine too. BUT, if the P400 gets the dialout
profile from Radius and initiates the call, the connection goes dead
immediately when the second channel is added. (On the P400 I see the
utilization drop from 100% to 0% and stay there.) The call falls back to 1
channel at the appropriate time, but still no data passes until the
connection is hung up and redialed.

While the connection is not passing traffic, a "show ip route" on the P400
looks normal, but it sends icmp error "host unreachable - out of range" for
all packets destined for the P50 network.

I don't see why adding the second channel should affect routing or why
Radius vs. local profile info should make a difference at that point.

Any ideas or experience?