Re: (ASCEND) PRIs getting 'stuck'

Steve Camas wrote:

> For the longest time, we had two max4000s with 4 T1s of dialup.  1 was a
> PRI and the others were just channelized T1.  We just upgraded to all PRIs
> and all hell broke loose.  It's very odd.  What happens is we will see one
> B channel showing 'r' forever.  Once this happens, anyone that dials in
> gets a reorder and everything is hosed.
>
> It looks like this:
>
> -*--**r******s
>
> If I hang up the session showing:
>
> >A Answer
>
> I get the message:
>
> Far End Hung Up
> Cause code 081
>
> Another thing we are seeing is moments when everything stalls.  If I were
> to ping one of the PPP modem connections, I would get normal response
> times and then suddenly everything stops.  Then a whole pile of echos come
> back with insane ping times (like a 10000 ms) and then all returns to
> normal for a while.
>
> Does anyone out there know what 'clock source y/n' does?  Out of pure
> desperation, I changed this parameter from N to Y and things *seemed* to
> get much better (perhaps not perfect but almost normal).
>
> I still get these stuck sessions though.  I only started to see this when
> I switched to PRI.  We are running an odd software version 'cos we needed
> a feature that was released in 4.6Ci17 so that is what we are running.
>
> Would a software upgrade be in order here?  We really need some help with
> this one... It is clearly a disaster.... Before calling tech support, I
> thought maybe Kevin Smith or someone else may offer some advice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Camas
> Long Island Information, Inc.

I'm not Kevin by a long shot, but I feel comfortable telling you that
you need to get with your telco on the line provisioning. I'm almost
certain that's all that's wrong.

The "clock source" setting is there to use if you don't get clocking
from the telco, and if you have PRIs you probably do get clocking from
the telco- at least you do around here.

Your problem sounds like what the line rats call "slippage"- which means
that the frame type at one end is probably wrong, and I have found no
way to verify this to a telco other than getting a line rat at each end
with a T-Bird tester in his/her hot little hand.

Out here in the boonies, our first MAX was the first one anyone had
ever seen- myself as well as the telco people. We had one hell of a time
getting the circuits correct, and of course the telco blamed the
equipment. Thank goodness Ascend shipped out another box just for grins;
when it performed the same way the telco started looking at their
circuits.

I was no help; I had never programmed/configured a MAX either and I
wasn't completely sure that the problems weren't caused by some stupid
configuration error _I_ had made. It took one solid month before I
convinced myself that I knew what I was doing, and started raising
cain with the telco. Once I got someone on each end of the circuit,
they found that one end was framed AMI; the other B8ZS.....and as
soon as they corrected it the whole thing has just "set there and run."

It has done so for almost a year, now. Call your telco- and get a GOOD
line rat on the line. These guys know what they're doing, but management
crosses 'em up all the time. Big surprise, huh?

'Shot