Re: (ASCEND) Compression

I just set up my first such connection Monday night.  It's my home PC with
Win95.  I'm using MS-STAC which may invalidate this example.  Works great,
not counting the Win95 part :-). I tried a couple tests to determine the
effectiveness of compression.  Saw some ridiculously high ratios on text
files, and more normal numbers with binaries.  Mind you, this was the
first time I'd set up anything in Radius for non-modem users, and I've
never used ISDN before.  The ISDN card I'm using is an Arescom Flash 200.
The software is Microsoft's ISDN Accelerator pack and Arescom's driver.
Took maybe an hour total to get the card installed and working, including
switching back and forth with 28.8 to change radius settings.

Here's the users file entry I ended up with.  Some settings may be
unnecessary, but it's what worked for me in our environment:

testuser Password = "UNIX"
        User-Service = Framed-User,
        NAS-Port-Type = ISDN-Sync,
        Framed-Protocol = MPP,
        Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP,
        Ascend-Maximum-Channels = 2,
        Ascend-Link-Compression = Link-Comp-MS-Stac,
        Framed-Routing = None,
        Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1,
        Ascend-Idle-Limit = 5400

Good luck,