Re: (ASCEND) Problems with P75 50ap5

At 06:29 PM 5/5/97 -0500, William C Bonner wrote:
>On Mon, 5 May 1997, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> At 10:50 AM 5/5/97 -0500, William C Bonner wrote:
>> >I was playing around with the software in my P75, I had been using the
>> >incrmental tree.  I decided Something went haywire in the rip setup, and
>> >decided to go to the patch tree.
>>
>> Did you report this "going haywire" to our support group so that it can
>> be further investigated?
>
>No, because I had our local network sort of messed up, Various versions of
>software, various RIPV2 configurations, etc.  I got really confused with
>the varying metrics for up and down links in the newest version of the I
>tree.  That's the main reason I decided to drop back to the patch tree.

OK... ;)

>> So you are not able to use 64K from your location to the remote site. If
that
>> is the only change you make, then the call must be traversing a non-64K
trunk
>> somewhere. Does it get answered as a 64K call ? This may help isolate it...
>
>How do I go about finding what the P400 is answering? (64 or 56?)

On the status screens, it shows the data-rate in the system status window...
also syslog (if enabled) would show the data-rate of the "answered" call.

>> >I'm primarily calling into a P400bri running 4.6C. (other location is a
>> >P75 running the same as I am.)  I'm in Dallas, Southwestern Bell.  The
>> >P400 is connected to the Taylor exchange.  The second P75 is also
>> >connected to the Taylor Exchange.  I'm on a different Exchange.
>> >
>> >Has anyone seen problems like this?
>>
>> Yes. The call can cross a non-ISDN/non-SS7 link in the telephony network
>> and have this exact effect...
>
>The strange thing with all of this is that I started having problems when
>I upgraded from 50a to 50ai8.  I didn't really figure out the problem, but
>thought it was related to the RIP setup that I didn't understand.  (I had
>configured all of the single hops to have a metric of 1.  since you added
>a down metric parameter, and it defaulted to 7, I thought wierd things
>might be happening in the route table.)

But a 56K call worked - how could this be related to RIP issues ?

>I think I mentioned this, but I'm not sure.  All of these calls are in a
>6 mile radius, near the center of Dallas.  No long distance involved, but
>all with SWBell.  I'd be suprised if it was going outside of an SS7 area.
>Also, Because of when I started having problems.

I'm running 5.0Ap5 on my P75 at home and connect into our corporate MAX
at 64K, so I doubt that anything was broken in that release, or I would have
seen it too...

>New news..  I upgraded a different P75 and a different P50 from 46Ci22 to
>50Ap8 around last wednesday.  They have been having this same problem
>since then.  (since the link goes up properly in one direction, and then
>will stay up as long as there is traffic, it took a while to decipher what
>was happening.)

Hmm. I wonder if it's on the P400 side then, it receives a 64K call but
does not handle it correctly since you upgraded the remote site....that'll
take some investigation to pin down....

>> >Is there a possible problem of me requesting a 64k channel, the phone
>> >company giving me a 56k channel, and not telling me that it is 56k?  I'd
>> >rather be running at 64k, but I'd rather be running than not.
>>
>> Yes, see my above suggestions....
>
>I don't know too much about ISDN (more than I want, more than I feel I
>should need to know, but not enough to solve all of the problems I run
>across)  But I was wandering if you can tell me how the request works?  If
>you request a 64k channel to the remote site, will the telco respond back
>that it could not get a 64k channel, but could get a 56k channel?

Not directly, but there will be a clue in one of the ISDN messages that
says the call is not ISDN-end-to-end....

>I'm not anxious to drop back to an earlier version of the software, but
>If it is only me who seems to be running into the problem, and I'm
>thinking that it is related to my software upgrade, and not the telco,

Well if this definitely worked in an earlier version, it's hard to
point fingers at the telco....

>then I'd do it to help figure out what is wrong.  The P400 can either get
>64k channels to me, or it knows when it got a 56k channel.  So it seems
>that a reverse call should go be a similar routing. (since it is close
>together, I assume that it is from one switch to the other, without lots
>of other switches in between.)

I would not assume anything (as an ex-AT&T employee :).

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service