Re: (ASCEND) Re: AppleTalk over PPP

Kevin Smith wrote:

> >>It is already implemented in the MAX etc. See the release notes on
> >>Appletalk routing on the FTP site....I don't recall since when, but
> >>it's in the latest releases....
> >
> >Right. That's what I said... it's silly to implement routing without
> >implementing a way for dialup users to take advantage of it except through
> >ARA. There are several third party stacks out there that take advantage of
> >it, but all the RAS boxes are junk. Why not add support in the Max?
>
> OK, I'm very confused....I read it as AT routing over PPP too.....am I
> wrong ?

sorta. The Max does AppleTalk routing now. If I dial in using AppleTalk
Remote Access (ARA) I can become a host to the AppleTalk network that
the Max is connected to, and obviously, it would be routed. But I cannot
access AppleTalk services if I'm dialing in via PPP. *THAT'S* what I
want. Apple doesn't make a PPP client that will support this, but other
companies do, and support for PPTP is forthcoming. But the Max knows
nothing about AppleTalk over PPP. So even if I have the Max doing
routing for AT, I can't really use it unless I have my clients dial in
using ARA. I don't want to use ARA because they can't easily use IP
based services (they can, but performance sucks) and they certainly
can't use PPTP based services like IPX.

So my question is: will Ascend officially comment on either a direction
or timeframe of when they would implement support for AppleTalk over PPP
for dial in clients?

Is that clear as mud now? =)

~Scott