Re: (ASCEND) Erols PBX "Policy" Accurate!!!

        Jason Nealis (of Erols Internet) said:

>In my time here at Erols running all of Dial-up I have seen in many
>cases of failed dial requests through a pbx. Mostly with higher speed
>modems. It depends a lot of the design of the switch and frequency
>response that is in common with an outgoing call.

        Agreed.  Nothing has been sane since AT&T started making
        a digital version of the (in)famous Merlin PBX.

        More important than actual performance is the high risk
        of a customer plugging his very analog modem into a very
        digital PBX line.  While most decent modems are not harmed
        by this sort of error (and some even give an error that
        clearly says "Digital Line Error"), a few will be suddenly
        rendered very very dead after an encounter with those so
        misleadingly familiar-looking, but non-analog jacks that one
        can encounter in many offices.

        That's why I LOVE the hotels that have a port on their phones
        (or a jack on a wall by the desk) that is clearly labeled "MODEM".
        That alone justifies the extra green paper required to get a
        suite, which are more often equipped with such amenities.

        God help you if you go overseas.  I have quite a collection
        of adapters, funny plugs and who-knows-what, but one of the
        few cases where an engineering degree is REQUIRED is the
        case when one is in a strange place and one wishes to use
        one's laptop and modem.

	    Consciousness: that annoying time between naps

james fischer                                jfischer@supercollider.com