Re: (ASCEND) Compression

At 08:27 PM 5/22/97 -0400, jay poley wrote:
>Has anyone out there played with STAC compression for ISDN?
>i have a few questions? i am getting about 120 KBps on 2 ISDN (64k)
>channels... that is good but it is no where near 4:1 or even 2:1 which
>some literature says STAC will do... i get similar results with binary
>or ascii files.

:-) Now you started the "compressibility" wars...

4:1 is an ideal...like my car is supposed to be able to do 131 MPH...

Real world experience verifies that YMMV...totally dependent on the type
of data you're shipping around. Some will say 2:1 is realistic with
mostly compressible data like text/email. Mix that with non-compressible
"already compressed"/binary data, and the *average* drops down.

If the data is all re-compressed, then you *can* get a negative reading
due to the compressor "trying" first before giving up.

>does anyone have experience with using STAC between CISCO Routers and
>Ascend?

With latest *released* software on both ends, it does work. However you
need to specify STAC-9 on the MAX, and "mode" 3 on the cisco (don't recall
how you do that).

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service