Re: (ASCEND) 56k and CT1

At 05:58 PM 5/22/97 -0700, Matt Holdrege wrote:
>At 08:15 PM 5/22/97 -0400, Matthew S. Dwyer wrote:
>>
>>Hello,
>>
>>We are planning to order a number of Series56 modems for evaluation
>>on our CT1 circuits. Given that we have seen lower performance on CT1
>>compared to PRI with 28.8k, what sort of performance should we
>>expect with 56k? Can these modems adjust for the bandwidth limitations
>>per channel on CT1? (200-3800hz)
>
>With channelized T1, you must have the telco provision trunk-side rather
>than line-side to get the higher speeds. It's theoretically possible to get
>56K on a trunk-side T1, but in practice that may be iffy.

According to USR/Rockwell:

As far as T1 lines are concerned, both Rockwell and USR claim to have
been able to avoid signal loss in T1 lines by detecting what they call
"digital-padding" in T1 switch. This digital pad can cause the modem signal
to drop as much as 6db. Once they detect this digital pad during the first
stage of negotiation, they boost their transmit level by 6db. They also have
algorithm to compensate for robbed-bit signaling.

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service