Re: (ASCEND) Analog Multilink PPP and RAS

In message <8825649F.00769879.00@smtp-mta.ascend.com>, Jeff_Powell@ascend.com writes:

> Asynch MP is inimical to V.120.  The V.120 specs prohibit 2 channel
> bonding.

Huh?  Bonding != MP.  V.120 works great with MP -- I'm using it myself.
The V.120 specs neither know nor care about PPP.

> As far as I know, only NT RAS supports AMPP..... someone correct me if I'm
> wrong.....

Ok, Bay's Remote Annex line of remote access servers has support MP over
async lines (there's no such thing as "MPP" or "AMPP") since our first
release of MP in R13.1.  It would have taken special-case code to actively
prevent it from working, had we wanted to do so.  (Of course, administrators
can configure it not to support MP over async or any other call type, but
that's a different issue.)

And, yes, we've tested with NT RAS' MP implementation.  There are some
peculiarities with this implementation (RAS supports only MPPC for compression,
RAS turns *off* modem error correction by default, and at least the RAS
we tested with didn't support normal CHAP), but the MP part works fine.

---
James Carlson <carlson@xylogics.com>, Prin Engr   Tel:  +1 508 916 4351
Bay Networks - Annex I/F Develop. / 8 Federal ST        +1 800 225 3317
Mail Stop BL08-05 / Billerica  MA  01821-3548     Fax:  +1 508 916 4789