(ASCEND) Anyone have secure access firewall?

Does anyone out there have Ascend's Secure Access Firewall product,
and what are your opinions of it?

Specifically, what I'm looking for are *technical* opinions about the
product (I will be using it on a Pipeline-50, with the switch):

    Does it enhance/hinder the router's performance at all?

    Have you found a way to perform configuration under UNIX,
    rather than with Ascend's Secure Access Manager?

    Have you run into any problems such as exceeding the limits
    on the number of states (connections) the router can keep track
    of, or exceeding the amount of firewall information that can be
    stored in memory?  (If so, would you provide specifics.)

    Are there any services (like RealAudio or the like) that you want
    to be able to use, but now can't due to a firewall limitation?

I intend to use the secure access firewall as a firewall for my
Internet connection ("Perm/Switched" type of connection).

I have seriously considered purchasing this product, but am reluctant
to do so until I have gotten some feedback from folks who have used
it in a real-world environment on a Pipeline-50.  My biggest complaint
so far is that it's ONLY configurable through a MS-windows-based GUI
tool.  This also appears to be Ascend's direction in general, and I
hope they don't forget about the large base of users out here that
are still using UNIX in a command-line or configuration-file type mode.
I won't be able to reconfigure the router *remotely* from Windows-95
easily...

Thanks in advance for any help.  Please respond to the list unless
you wish to keep your reply private.

Gil Kloepfer ... ngk@gc2.kloepfer.org