Re: (ASCEND) OSPF and Area Border Router on Max

Matt,

There's a difference between not recommending something, and something
not being possible.

By reading the manual I understood that the Max COULD be an ABR, you
even went so far as to draw a diagram showing exactly what the topology
would look like, WITH MAXES!

I'm just trying to verify how this would work on a Max.  My understanding
now from you is that the Max CANNOT be a ABR.  Is this accurate?

That said, does Ascend have a discussion somewhere of how they
recommend the implementation of OSPF on the Maxes, from a topology
standpoint?

I know there are lots of people running OSPF on their Maxes, I'm beginning
to migrate our network from RIP/Static Routes to OSPF.  My topology had
the Ascends as Area Border Routers.  What are other people doing?

Here's the topology I built:

                                                               RTR#1  RTR #2
                                                               |  |   |  |
                                                               |  |   |  |
20 Net Switch Card (10 Mb) |-------*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*---*--)---*--)--|
                                   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |      |      |
                                Max 400X Modem Pool (9 hosts)     |      |
                                                                  |      |
                                                                  |      |
21 Net Switch Card (10 Mb) |-------*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-----*-*-*-*----*------*--|
                                   | | | | | | | |     | | | |
                                Max 400X Modem Pool (8 hosts)

I was planning on making the 20 and 21 Net Switch Cards Area 0.
Then I was going to pair up Ascend Maxes, assign each a /25 subnet, and
put their WAN interfaces in the same Area.

However, that would require the Ethernet port of the Max to be in a different
Area than the WAN ports.

My only other question would be:  If they can't be ABRs, than the Maxes
can only be Stub Area routers?

Oh well.  Thanks for all the help.

-Rob

--
Robert A. Pickering Jr.                Internet Services Manager
Cincinnati Bell Telephone              rob@fuse.net

           A Rough Whimper of Insanity (Information Superhighway)

PGP key ID: 75CAFF7D 1995/05/09
PGP Fingerprint: B1 63 0C 09 D8 2E 5D 69  BB 61 A2 92 22 37 63 C3