Re: (ASCEND) OSPF and Area Border Router on Max

Here is an excerpt from the manual:

Note: At this release, we recommend that you do not configure the MAX as an
ABR. We currently recommend that you use the same area number for the
Ethernet interface of the MAX and each of its WAN links. That area number
does not have to be the backbone; the MAX can reside in any OSPF area.

And the drawings that you refer to are simply a tutorial on how OSPF works.
We also say that you may not wish to use the Max as a DR or BDR in order to
dedicate itself to WAN processing. That's the real message.

Also note this from the manual:

Note: If the MAX supports external routes across its WAN links, you should
not configure it in a stub area. Because an ABR configuration is not
currently recommended for the MAX, the area in which it resides should not
be a stub area if any of its links are AS-external.