Re: (ASCEND) Max TNT upgrade from 1.2ap12 to 1.3Ap6

At 05:04 PM 10/2/97 -0700, Joseph Hickman wrote:

>I just thought I'd inform those that haven't upgraded to 1.3 yet to be
>aware of problems/issues/concerns that I had to address when upgrading
>from old to new code.
>
>We loaded the boot-sr [.bin] file.  No problems.  We then tried to load
>the tntrel.tar.  Heh.  Good luck.  It kept stopping during the load and
>saying "load aborted: invalid image unsupported by load tar command" or
>some words to that effect.

Sure enough the 1.3A release notes suggest there's something wrong and you
should retry (maybe re-download the tar file as you did)...but in the 1.3Ap6
release notes there is another warning (see step 4):

Special purpose upgrade procedure
If you are upgrading to a release that includes new slot card code or if
you have never
performed an upgrade using a tar file, follow these steps:
1 Download the binaries from Ascend's FTP server to a local host.
2 Log into the MAX TNT.
3 Load the upgrade shelf-controller software. For example, to load via TFTP
from host1:
admin> load boot-sr network host1 tntsr.bin
4 Load the upgrade tar file. For example:
admin> load tar network host1 tntrel.tar
Note: This load might not be successful. It might stop with the error
message "load
aborted: invalid image ..." This is okay.
5 Use the Dircode and Fsck 1 commands to verify that the images are good.
If for any
reason the verification shows the files are not all okay or are of the
wrong release, format
the flash card with the Format 1 command and repeat from Step 4.
6 Use the Reset command to execute the new shelf-controller software.
admin> reset
7 Log into the MAX TNT again and load the upgrade tar file a second time.
It should
complete properly this time. For example:
admin> load tar network host1 tntrel.tar
<<<<

Is this effectively the steps that you did take to get the code to load?

Kevin