(ASCEND) Re: Search for the Stable 4004 code

>     Anyone running reasonably stable code for the Max 4004 with the
>     following setup:
>
>     Pipelines dialing in using NAT
>     Routing IPX
>     Routing IP
>     Bridging On
>     Using RADIUS auth
>     Two PRIs
>

>     ??
>
>     "Reasonably stable" is defined as code that crashes less than 1x per
>     week.  We're having a helluva time with an i release and it looks like
>     a fix is weeks away.  We're booting several times per day.  We're in
>     search of alternatives.

We don't run IPX or bridging, but we do run OSPF, which is defined as one
of the more-crashworthy features.

We abandonded the Incremental brach for the Patch branch months ago and
have been happier ever since. If you want to run stable, I strongly suggest
you do the same.

We ran 5.0Ap20 with total stability. Just went to Ap27, so no story on that
yet.

The basic difference with the two branches seems to be that more things are
fixed than broken in the Patch branch with each release, which isn't always
the case with the Incrementals. ;-)

As it says in the FTP site:

---

Incremental Releases - An Incremental Release encompasses all new feature
enhancements and bug fixes made since the last full release.  Since these
releases have not been fully regression tested (only sanity checked) they
are not as stable as the patch releases.  Incremental Releases are usually
released by Wednesday of each week for all product lines.

Patch Releases - A Patch Release contains only bug fixes made since the last
full release which will not affect the stability of the release.  Patch
Releases may not be released on a regular interval.

What does this mean?

If you have a customer needing a fix made in both the patch and the
incremental release, and stability is what you want, then use the Patch
Release.  If there is a new feature the customer desires or if they have a
problem fixed in the Incremental Release that a Patch Release does not
address, then they should use the Incremental Release.

---

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com