Re: (ASCEND) updating Hayes Accura...

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Randy E. Reinhardt wrote:

> David, yes I consider myself a battle-scarred and torn 56K vet....
>
> Get ahold of Hayes, Rev .519 modems require a hardware upgrade from
> Hayes...you call, give them a credcard number (just to guarantee the
> transaction), they send you a new modem, you send the old one back.  If you
> had .516 those can be flash upgraded, but .519 is hardware upgrade only via
> Hayes.

Erm... are you sure about that?  That isn't what my experience says and it
isn't what their web page (http://www.hayes.com/56k/beta/) says.

> >OK all you battle-scarred 56K vets...
> >
> >My new Accura has 0.519.
> >How do I upgrade it; where do I get the code?
> >
> >[Note this unit comes with NO manual. All you get is WinDoze
> >diskette; rather useless to some of us. After some ..prompting..
> >they emailed me a copy of the AT commands list, but not S
> >registers.  Grrrr..]

Hey, don't worry about the Windows software... after hunting down
Windows machines to install it on (needed three before it would
install), it only had the old 28.8 manual anyway.  Luckily, most
Rockwell based ones are similar enough that we can just look
at the docs of modems that do have real manuals.