Re: (ASCEND) Feature Requests and Ascend?

> > Packet filtering it at the max isn't a solution, only a workaround, both
> > because the MAX tends to start doing odd things at times if you use packet
> > filters and because it doesn't solve the problem;

I have not seen any odd things happening yet with filters.  Could you be
more specific?

I think I disagree about filtering not being a solution.  You seemed to
making a case for a "black hat" trying to hert performance on the MAX by
connecting to the Immediate Modem service.  If you have a simple two part
packet filter to block access to the Immediate Modem port on the MAX from
all untrusted networks, then the "black hat" will be unable to attack.

I agree that adding a limit on the number of Immediate Modem connections
seems like a reasonable new feature.

> Let's be honest here, Just how much packet filtering can you do on a MAX
> before you start to tax the I960 and start to affect performance?

Enough - packet filters [currently] do not add that much overhead to
a connection on a MAX.  I have not been able to measure the performance
change due to a simple packet filter - the change gets lost in the noise.