Re: (ASCEND) Max 4000 with X.75

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 14, 1997 at 12:21:29PM +0200, Oliver J. Albrecht wrote:

> we are using a max 4030, switch-type Net 5 (Germany DSS1) as a
> dial-in box for PPP, CSLIP, UUCP etc...

Dito ;)

> Quite a number of our customers are dialing in via the Terminal
> Server mode to use asynchronous protocols, among those ISDN X.75.

Not here. X.75 support appeared much too late in the Ascends to be
of any use for us. Ascend simply ignored the fact that the USA were
not the first country in the world to deploy ISDN on a broad range
and that in the countries on the leading edge of ISDN deployment,
V.110 was initially dropped (it is trash) and X.75 became the de
facto async encapsulation standard. Ascend instead pushed V.120.
Now there is X.75, but for gods sake I've got customers to accept
that - when doing ISDN - the only real standard is sync PPP.

> Some of the customers just can't get any reliable X.75 connect,
> they are seeing hangups during the first minute of the connection,
> usually with disconnect cause 185 on our side. These hangups only
> seem to occur with certain isdn adapters / isdn software versions.
>
> Basically my question is, should I fine tune the X.75 options, like
> the Frame Length, which is at a default of 1024? I'm slightly

I seem to remember that for enhanced throughput, a lot of equipment
here in Germany (especially BBS scene) is doing 2048 byte frames with
X.75. If the hardware really insists on this, it may get a problem
with the Ascend on the first large frame, likely on the first TCP
transfer they do. The bad thing is there is no way to increase the
X.75 frame size on the Ascend to 2048...

> hesitant to do so, because it does in fact work nicely for many
> customers. FWIW, we're running 5.0Ap27 (eik.m40).

You like to live dangerously ?

We are back on p13 due to the HDLC bug (TR#2554), and we are back on
a V.34 card due to - I said that already. After we spent most of our
last weekend resetting the Max, we decided that p13 and V.34 is better
than developing even more gray hair...

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |