Re: (ASCEND) Users stay connected but cannot see any web sites

Junichi Kurokawa wrote:

> >On 14-Oct-97 Paul Huish wrote:
> >>You are not alone! We are getting this problem as well. We are perplexed as
> >>to whether it is a Win95, IE, modem, or MAX problem.
> >
> >If you get the customer to disconnect then reconnect, does the problem go
> >away? If not, try disconnect, restart '95 then reconnect. If this works
> >but just reconnect without reboot does not, this is usually enough to
> >convince the customer that it's '95's fault. If disconnect/reconnect fixes it,
> >with no reboot, then it may be a modem or routing problem ... even (gasp!) a
> >max problem ...
> >
> >.. perhaps?
>
> Same here with OS/2 and Macintosh.  Windoze notwithstanding.
>
> This must be a Max problem.  Any workarounds?
>
> Setup:  Max4000 + 5.0Ap23, 56k enabled
>
> Regards,
> junichi
>
> >- Pete.

I've seen this problem before and it seems to come down to two
different causes: (1) mismatch of compression settings (i.e. Max set
to NONE and Win95 set to "use software compression" or vice-versa, and
(2) muxed phone lines- these show up as "weird speed" connections like
7200 or 16800 bps. These happen with very noisy lines as well.

When it happens (either way), you can get to any web site by using its
IP address, but DNS just will NOT work- even if you use the "specify
Domain Name Server" in the Win95 setup.

BUT.....we currently have one user who is experiencing this problem,
and none of the above applies. We're on 5.0Ap23 with K56- but as I
said, it's just ONE user. Weird.

'Shot