Re: (ASCEND) Nynex (BA) PRI Callback

On Wed, Oct 15, 1997 at 05:21:38PM -0400, Matthew S. Dwyer wrote:

> Is anyone using a Nynex ISDN PRI (Flexpath) to place outgoing data calls
> without having to pay any message units/per minute rates? We were told by

Don't know Nynex - but I know German Telekom ;->

> Ascend that this can be done, but Nynex claims there is no way to avoid
> the message units.

Depends.

> We are interested in using a PRI to do callbacks to customers with
> Pipeline 75's and ISDN BRI..
>
> Any info on this would be appreciated..

You have to clarify one thing: _What_ are you actually paying for ?

a) established B-Channels
b) SETUPs routet by the Telco to the destination

In Germany, a) is used and allows a callback without any units counted
for the initial caller. I don't know who uses b) [hearsay: Austria does?].
Obviously b) is close to train robbery - you pay per call, even if the
callee is busy or has no device connected. In this case you cannot avoid
paying the call expect going shoot the telcos CEO.

If you are in a relaxed situation (a) you just have to:

1) Set "Expect Callback" at the caller side
2) Set "Callback" at the callee

This gives you callback, but eventually still PPP one. To get it bill free:

3) Enable ID Auth on the callee (at least prefer)
4) Set the "Calling #"

Now the callee can decide whether a call is from a caller to which call-
back is to be used, refuses the call (you don't pay) and finally calls
back itself.

In practice you may have other problems with callback timing and call
collisisons. If that happens, travel this lists archives for the solution.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |