Re: (ASCEND) Don't look so hot...

> I won't comment on the test, but I will agree with Matt.  Don't use
the
> "management by magazine" method.

I *really* hate to "me too" a list, but...  I couldn't agree more.
When I see a glowing magazine review, I look for big ads to go along
with it.  They're never far behind.

A couple of years ago, PC Mag rated the USR Sportster 28.8 as the
"best" modem on the market.  That's when I quit buying that rag.
This was when the Sportsters still had the infamous "spiraling death
syndrome" and wouldn't talk to much other than another USR.  They
would also disconnect if you moved the speaker volume control.  We
had just taken six we bought for testing back to our distributor in
disgust after finding out that they were pretty much worthless in
general, ans especially for ISP use (yes, we were REALLY small then).

Gateway 2000 PC's always seem to do well, too.  Wonder why?  Hmmm.
Rave reviews, 12-page full color foldout spreads...  chicken or egg?

</soapbox>

	Dale