(ASCEND) Pipe75 and Java Pipeline Monitor

I've installed the java config program and the monitor program.  The config program works just great.
When I try the monitor program I enter the ip address and click on OK and nothing happens.

The network light on the pipe75 flashes but I'm not sure it's from me or other network traffic at the time.

Does the Monitor app need/use the syslog feature on the pipe?  I've got the pipe dumping the syslog stuff to an NT server with a syslog service running.

Tech Info:

win95 osr2, ms tcp/ip stack, pent200, 32MB, older pipe (Dec '96), Software +5.0Ai16+, .......

pj50ai2.exe from the ftp site.

Has anyone gotten this program to work?  What's the magic chant to get it working?

Thanks for your help,

JT