Re: (ASCEND) PCAnywhere Bug

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, RHS Linux User wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> We currently use PCAnywhere(v 7.5) for remote control access to our NT
> boxes and I have noticed some interesting behavior of late.
[...]
> PROBLEM:
> The problem arises when a user ends a PCAnywhere session routed via
> Ascend products.  Upon disconnect of the session it drops all traffic
> across the WAN for about 5 minutes.

This is not a problem with Ascend, it is a problem with
PCAnywhere. When a PCAW session ends the called host sends a
packet to every IP address on its network. Don't ask me why, I
guess Symantec never heard of broadcast addresses.

Ascend appear to have newer SW versions that no longer lock up
when a PCAW host disconnects.

I personally though would rather not run PCAnywhere at all. (And
not run NT but that is another issue :)

Cheers,
Michiel

PS: does anyone know if PCAnywhere 8.0 is any better in this
respect?

--
Michiel Boland <boland@diva.nl>
Digital Valley Internet Professionals