Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Radius

> I have been using Ascend`s radius for some time, but now we have a
> more heterogeneous environment (try saying that after five pints
> of Guinness), I have compiled and set up standard PD Merit radius.
>
> To my surprise, not only does the Max authenticate OK, but the logs it
> creates look identical to before.

It is not that surprising - RADIUS as a protocol is fairly good at
being interoperable - you can use Ascend RADIUS with other vendors
equipment and other RADIUS servers with Ascend equipment.

The similarity in logging is based on the code history and the simplicity
of the format (dump out the time and a list of the attributes and values).

> So what exactly _is_ different between Ascend radius and off the shelf??

I don't know if this is exact but as far as I know the differences between
Ascend RADIUS and Merit RADIUS are a number of Ascend specific features or
features that require third-party help - global ip address pools (radipad),
ARAP authentication, password expiration and changing, Security Dynamics ACE
client with CACHE-TOKEN and PAP-TOKEN-CHAP support, and Ascend packet filters.