Re: (ASCEND) JBPC 5.0Ai4

>>> And it would have been even better (there appear to be many needed
>>> corrections/improvements in the release) if it would work with the IE 4.0
>>> Java library.
>>
>>ISTM it's up to MS to make their "Java" compliant, not Ascend
>>to make their app non-standard....
>
>I wouldn't have said anything, except I submitted a ticket about the
>incomparability last? month.

I didn't know Microsoft has a ticket-system for receiving such requests.

:-)))))

Serious:

>I'd agree except that Ascend is bundling the (obsolete) IE 3.0 library with
>the package. A nice DOS bundle would serve the same purpose without the
>hassle while consuming a _lot_ less resources.

>>The following files were released:
>>
>>PJ50AI4.EXE - JBPC for Win 95, NT 4.0
>>PJN50AI4.EXE - JPBC for Win NT 3.5
>>PJW50AI4.EXE - JBPC QuickStart for Windows 3.1

Yes, i think what Ascend does here has nothing to do with any of Java's advantages.
If you get an .EXE you don't care about the language the source was written in, do you ?
Just that "Java-based" sounds good in some way ..

What about another aproach, like having .html and applets to make the configurator ?
That WOULD work on any platform, you would just need a browser to access the files.

Otherwise it's easy to imagine Kevin posting something like ..

:The following files were released:
:
:PJ50AI5.EXE - JBPC for Win 95, NT 4.0
:PJN50AI5.EXE - JPBC for Win NT 3.5
:PJW50AI5.EXE - JBPC QuickStart for Windows 3.1
:PJ850AI5.EXE - JBPC for Win 98
:PJNB50AI5.EXE - JBPC for Win NT 5.0 beta
:PJN550AI5.EXE - JBPC for Win NT 5.0 release
:PJC50AI5.EXE - JBPC for Win CE ;-)

No please.

- Ralf