Re: (ASCEND) CLID callback

On Wed, Oct 22, 1997 at 07:30:09PM -0700, Peter Lalor wrote:
> I just finish wading through all the horror stories the Germans were having
> with trying to do callback based on CLID. It was so horrible, I'd like to
> try it (only in California). ;-)

True Masochism ;)

> I currently do PPP-based callback from Max 4000 or TNT to Pipelines or
> Farallon Netopias. Taking the Max 4000 to Pipeline example:
>
> 1) Packet hits Max destined for Pipeline.
> 2) Max dials Pipeline, is authenticated by PPP, and hangs up.
> 3) Pipeline calls Max, is authenticated by PPP, and traffic flows.
>
> As everyone's always saying, this is great, except that we pay for those
> outbound calls.

Exactly.

> Is it possible to do CLID (or D-channel-based) callback to Pipelines to
> avoid the charge? I've rummaged around, but I don't see how to do it in a
> Pipe.

Actually doing it this way is preferred in an ISP situation (while
doing it the other way is preferred in an intranet situation where
the external workers on the road call in from overexpensive hotel
phone lines). It is possible and it is straight. On the Pipe:

1) Enable ID Auth (at least prefer)
2) Enter the correct Calling # in the profile
3) Set the profile to Callback=Yes

On the Max (or other Pipe, let's say on the "initial Caller"):

1) Set the profile to Exp Callback=Yes

Thats the simple part. The less simple part is dealing with bad timings
of the telco (when the callback arrives on your Max before the refused
call is dropped, i.e. the DISCONNECT or RELEASE COMPLETE arrives). If
you have such problems, try to use the RADIUS hack (the outgoing pro-
file has a wrong IP address, doesn't matter because it is cleared soon
anyway, but prevents the Max from seeing a call collision).

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |