Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Radius

>> .. Ascends free radius-server is NOT Multi-Vendor.
>> The Merit is not yet, but it has Ascend-specific attributes built in.
>> AFAIK none of the other third-party servers do support these.
>
> If you are just talking about the Ascend specific attributes - they are
> trivial to add to most other third-party RADIUS servers.  This is why
> the dictionary is typically a separate configuration file.

The Merit server includes some "Ascend hacks" (the code, not only the dictionary),
sorry for misleading you.
I'm not sure about the details, but browsing through radiusd.c shows many
"#ifdef ASCEND"'s.

>I am not sure what you mean by "NOT Multi-Vendor" but I can assure you
>that it works with Livingston and 3Com/USRobotics just fine.  It does
>not support the Vendor-Specific attribute (26) but it works with multiple
>vendors using normal attributes without problems.

Right, but i need attribute 26 for another device. The problem with the Ascend-xxx
attributes is that they may conflict with other vendors attributes. The Merit-site states
that a "Multivendor Dictionary" will be available with the next release (should be 2.4.24):
"The Merit AAA Server dictionary supports the definition of attributes for more than one vendor."
That would make it easy to add as many attributes as one would need, if there are not just
Ascend-boxes in the rack.

> Merit was trying to help out - a number of the people using the Merit RADIUS 2.x server are
> using Ascend equipment.

.. or will be, if MAX/TNT features will follow the RFC ;-)

- Ralf