Re: (ASCEND) Max Stacking and Multi-logins

> On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Phillip Vandry wrote:
>
> > Multiple sessions by the same user on a single Max can be controlled via the
> > Shared Prof=Yes/No configuration setting.
> >
> > For controlling this over multiple units, you need a RADIUS daemon that has
> > this feature.
>
> Which has some pretty sizable drawbacks and, AFAICS, will NOT work if you
> do accounting and auth on different boxes, like we do.

I have never worked with such a RADIUS daemon, but based on how I think
it would have to work, I agree that you'd have to authenticate and account
on the same machine.

> I put in a feature request to have stacked Maxen able to propagate the
> Shared Profiles setting to the stack so that Joe User can't have
> connections to every Max in the stack.  Haven't seen anything yet, but
> hope springs eternal.

Probably a good idea too since the RADIUS way will also fail if some
accounting packets are missed (in fact if that happens, a user might be
prevented from being logged in at all!)

Perhaps radipadd (the RADIUS IP address daemon) would be a good place to
put such a feature if it won't be done on the Maxes themselves.

-Phil