Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:32:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Those 53.3K modems SUCK!

The analog section on the "56K" modems sucks. Specifically, I dont believe its
fully implemented - or something...

I have made reliable connections to West.net with the modem I currently have
(my boss's account resides there) as well as to several other BBSes in the
area. RAIN is the *only* dialup that gives me problems, reliably! I shit you
not, it can be expected to happen _EVERY DAMNED CALL_ that the modem will lock
up, and not even hangup!

It happens after 2 bl-ers usually (see below).

I've already stopped reccommending RAIN to my friends, which really sucks,
since RAIN is the *only* local ISP with a decent security record as of late.
I've started telling people if they want to go over 14.4K and not worry about
being hacked, they'd better go with "the damned phone company" - a thought
that I find personally repulsive myself. I like RAIN, I like the nonprofit
community oriented approach, and I like the cool SB location. The only thing
pissing me off is that for some reason Ventura got stuck being the beta-test
for these 53.3K modems.

Why not do the world a favor, and wait until a STANDARD is approved?? Or at
least until you can find a vendor that will fully support PREEXISTING
STANDARDS!

If the problem isnt resolved by the end of this three month period, I'm gone.
This is making downloads impossible under my own account, and I am growing
tired of swapping between networks whenever I want to do something I
anticipate will take more than 20 or 30 minutes.

U.S. Robotics Sportster 33600 Fax Link Diagnostics...

Chars sent               372002      Chars Received          1655830
Chars lost                    0
Octets sent              185827      Octets Received         1048521
Blocks sent               17669      Blocks Received           17861
Blocks resent                 0

Retrains Requested            0      Retrains Granted              0
Line Reversals                0      Blers                         2
Link Timeouts                 0      Link Naks                     0

Data Compression       V42BIS 2048/32
Equalization           Long
Fallback               Enabled
Protocol               LAPM