Re: (ASCEND) ISDN Cause Code 050

On Fri, Oct 24, 1997 at 12:33:19PM -0400, Earl Barfield wrote:
> > From: Jason Nealis <nealis@babylon.erols.com>
> > Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:10:03 -0400 (EDT)
> > Subject: Re: (ASCEND) Cause code 018 ??
> >
> >  I have all the cause codes listed at :
> >
> > http://www.nealis.net/ascend/faq/ascend-faq-cause-codes.html
>

> Does anyone know of an isdn cause code reference that gives some
> detail as to exactly what the error means and what must be done to
> correct it?  I've got a Max 200 whose attempts to bring up additional

The most detailed references are in Q.931 (an Appendix thereof) and
Q.850 (the recommendation describing the cause code information
element). Both are DSS1 specific and may be of limited use for national
or otherwise nonstandard protocols. Anyway, these references don't tell
you _exactly_ what the problem is, thats a task of creativity and
discovery that belongs to you - as with any error message. The basic
reason for this is that you know what the error code means, but you
don't know what problem the switch really had to produce this code -
some codes are clear, some are less clear and some are simply mis-
used.

BTW, the cause code information element contains a specification on
_where exactly_ the problem appeared which is not logged by Ascend gear
as of now. It would tell you whether the local network, the remote network,
the local or remote _private_ network (i.e. a PABX) or the remote user
where generating this cause - this can help definately when tracking bugs
(especially in PABXes).

> channels is failing with a Cause Code 050.  The above referenced page
> describes code 050 as "Requested facility not subscribed".  What I
> need to know is what the hack that means.  I posted a query on this
> list a few days ago, but never got a response.

"Requested facility not subscribed" means that the switch thinks that
a parameter in your SETUP is in conflict with what you are buying from
your Telco. May be you try to use unlimited 64k digital service, and
your switch is configured to only provide 3.1 kHz audio to you. Some-
thing like that. However I would expect this to cause "Bearer capa-
bility not authorized". Maybe digging into the Q.931 call handling
section may give more hints to what causes Cause 50. From a short
view it seems to be missing there (Q.931 has a jump from cause 47
to 57...). I guess your service is somehow limited/blocked by the
telco.

> We're dealing with the lowest common denominator in telco support and
> we need to be able to specify exactly what to check for and how to fix
> it.
>
> P.S. Anybody got a set of manuals for an AT&T 5ESS central office
>      switch that they'd like to get rid of?  ... or maybe a referral
>      for a training class for telco folks that configure isdn on a
>      5ESS?  Oh well, it doesn't hurt to ask. :-)

Nope, the native language around here is DSS1 inflated into ETSI NET3/5,
and I don't have such switch or manuals thereof, either ;)

Aehm, ITU recommendations are available SF 25 each from www.itu.ch.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |