RE: (ASCEND) Quake through a Max 4000

On Friday, October 31, 1997 7:03 AM, Kevin McKee
[SMTP:KevinM@datavision.net] wrote:
> OK, I know this doesn't sound "mission critical", but it is a nagging
> problem that some very vocal users have been complaining about lately.
> We have two Max4000s (72 56K modems each) running into our Cisco, and
> our legacy analogs modems in a Xylogic Annex setup on another port of
> the Cisco.  We have a local Quake server, and everyone seems to get
> flawless performance coming in through the Annex at 28.8.  Through the
> Maxen they get jumpy gameplay and jerky movement, even during our slow
> times of the day.  Almost as if packets are being dropped. Ping tests
> run through both sides with good-to-excellent results. There is no
> noticeable problem with users surfing.  Just when playing Quake!  I
> don't even know where to start looking.

Make your users try turning v.42 and v.42bis off and use MNP or nothing
instead. Also maybe try losing VJ header compression. There are a number
of known issues (USR LAPM bug for one) that means that 56k modem cards
do strange things at the moment. This is one of the major issues (56k
cards, not Quake - but with Quake II coming, this will be "mission
critical" to some ISPs) that we are trying to get sorted on TNTs at the
moment.

Peter