Re: (ASCEND) Quake/QW and Pipeline 75 and NAT

Strange my IP is 192.168.100.101, and I can play Quake/QW perfectly fine
(Ascend Pipeline 75 w/ multi-IP NAT). I get one valid IP address from my
ISP, and I wanted to play Quake so Multi-IP NAT was my only choice.
Fortunately I don't need more than one machine connected. I know NAT single
IP does not work. Read on for the reason...

No the problem you face is not the IP, but the port # with Quake. The
Pipeline uses the port # for translation purposes (as do all NAT
implementations). This # gets mangled in the process. I observered, using
NetXray, the port # which I sent out to the Quake server and the port #
which came back. I'd be sending out 27k (or something close) and be getting
back ports in the 4k range. Since Quake wasn't listening there the packet
went un-heard, and into the bitbucket.

You might be able to set static maps. I never tried this.

With Multi-IP NAT the port #'s do not get translated and thus Quake works.

I don't think any IP information is contained in the Quake datagram. This
makes sense, because it is in the application layer. I assume Quake uses
the same protocol for both IPX and IP. (Why would they change it?) In order
to (re)use this code it would have to be independant of the various network
protocols (ie above the transport layer).

If you find any errors in my comments let me know. After all most of what
I've stated was from observations (packet sniffing), and reading various
RFCs on NAT. I'd like to know what other have found too.