(ASCEND) remote reboot of MAX via SNMP

I'm not sure if I'm doing something, if my SNMP program
is flaking out, or if there's a problem with Ascend's
implementation, but I'm not able to issue a reboot using
SNMP.  I try to set the variable:

iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).
    ascend(529).systemStatusGroup(9).sysReset(8)

Nothing happens though - my SNMP program (SNMPc) just kicks
back to the higher level hierarchy.  When I try to do an
explict set it reports an error saying the write was
refused.  I know for sure the read/write community is
set right because I used the same settings to save
my config via TFTP and to upgrade the MAXes firmware (all
via SNMP)

Anybody have any advice?  Thanks in advance.

PS - Many thanks to Jason Nealis and his FAQ on using
SNMP to save/restore/upgrade MAXen.  I've gotten to the
point where I have too many MAX boxes to telnet to them
to upgrade.  If I can figure out this remote reboot thing
I'll be all set!