(ASCEND) K56Flex Speeds

Howdy all,

Has anyone else noticed this?  Connecting with an internal SupraExpress56
flashed to 1.000-03, connecting to a max 4048 running 5.0Ap23 with channelized
T1's this is what I see...  From one location, I get speeds ranging from
38,000 - 44,000.  Every time I sonnect at 42,000 it retrains down to 40,000.
It will do this from 15-30 seconds into a connection, without fail.  All
other speeds look stable, except for 42,000 bps.  Checking it with AT&V1
shows it down-shifts to 40,000 bps each time.  I don't know if this is a
full retrain or some other kind of speed shift- it only takes about 1-2
seconds to drop from 42,000 to 40,000, and once it shifts it stays at 40,000
for the remainder of the connection.

I haven't tried this with other k56flex modems or other locations yet.  I am
curious on whether 42,000 is just an unstable speed or if this is particular
to this specific setup.

Also, a caveat to everyone out there doing k56flex.  There are some generic
k56flex modems hitting the market now that are complete crap.  I tried out
one internal (8-bit ISA for a PC), that had no manufacturer identification
in it or in the packaging whatsoever.  It's rom based and pretty worthless.

Also- does anyone else notice that upstream connection speeds are a notch
lower in client code 1.000-03 compared to 0.519D?

--
Will Pierce
System Administrator