Re: (ASCEND) Burp Tone in Ap23?

Big Brother tells me that Kevin Smith said:

> You can only disable it by forcing the modems to pretend they never heard
> of K56Flex - setting them to V.34 only....there's a setting under MOD
> CONFIG somewhere...

    Does this mean that they will not be able to do 56K?  Kind of defeats
the purpose... I could get rid of the burp tone by going back to an
earlier release and pulling out my 56K modems.  The earlier releases also
had the burp tone, but there was an option to turn it off.  This option
got removed in about the same release that started supporting the 56K
cards, causing many of our users to not be able to get connected.
    I don't believe the burp tone is part of any 56K requirement (this is
mainly because this tone existed long before the cards came out-- there
was an option to turn it off).  I have heard it called an "Ascend Dial
Tone".  Since it isn't necessary for 56K, there should be no problem
with have a new release turn this off without disabling 56K.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"       jackmc@realtime.net
    -Brain, Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain    Jack McKinney