Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4000 + 56K modem cards = fire

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Jake Messinger wrote:

> Here, warehouses get VERY damp.

Some do here, if the roof leaks.  Ours doesn't.  I wouldn't be putting
equipment into a damp or wet warehouse; that would be pretty foolish,
wouldn't it?

> You said the temp approached 100F in your initial posting. This is too hot
> to run electronic equipment. You are shortening its life.

It is approaching 100F.  Gets well into the 90's, sometimes very close to
100.  If the equipment runs there for an extended period of time, it
probably won't last as long as it would in a 60 degree environment.  It's
warmer than I'd like to see it.  The fact remains, though, that it does
run, and quite well, for the short term we need it to run in that
environment.

> Did you look into temporary colocation?

Colocation where, precisely?  There is nowhere to colocate.  Besides, I
have space here that is within the published operating parameters for the
equipment I have, so we're set for the time we need it out there.

> I just dont think given the HISTORY of the max heat problems that I would
> risk stressing one that much.

Your decision when it affects you.  Mine when it affects me.  We have to
deal with the reality here.  The Maxen, especially those with later serial
numbers, obviously aren't quite as delicate as you've been led to believe.

		Dale