Re: (ASCEND) 32HDLC card

At 01:14 PM 9/16/97 -0400, Phillip Vandry wrote:
>> I've got a 32HDLC card...  I can't remember what it does :)  It's been
>> sitting on the shelf so long in the bag that I can't remember why we
>> bought it.
>>
>> Umm, what's it for? :)
>
>I think it's to add more virtual channels on a Max.
>
>The MAX uses an HDLC channel for every connection. You can see how many of
>them you have available by typing "sh if stat" in the termserver. They
>are numbered wan0 through wan<whatever> (They are the interfaces).

No, modem connections do not use up an HDLC channel - only sync port
connections
do, like ISDN-PPP, Frame-Relay, ISDN-MP etc.

>If you have fewer of them than you have physical ports (channels, modems,
>serial ports, etc..) then you are in trouble.

Since the MAX40xx can have up to 4*30 (Europe) channels = 120, and the base
unit
has 64 channels "built in", you might need to add more 32HDLC cards to support
more than 64 simultaneous HDLC sessions (1 frame-relay port T1/E1 can use
up 24/30
in one go)....

>I think those cards are obsolete because modern Maxen have more than
>enough of them built in to handle the largest possible number of physical
>ports you could install.

No, that's not true - as I suggest above.

Kevin